The Wilby war memorial was erected in St Mary’s Churchyard around 1920 after public subscription in the village. It was then used again to add the Second World War fallen.
For many years, there was no clear ownership – it was placed in the Churchyard as the only suitable site in the village at that time, it is presumed. Following an approach from Historic England in 2016, the Parish Council has now officially adopted the Memorial so that it can be maintained for the village in perpetuity given the sacrifice by so many Wilby parishioners in these wars.
In January 2017 it was also awarded listed building Grade II status, when the Parish Council was informed that the memorial has been added to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
There is a Remembrance Sunday service in the Churchyard every year in November when the names of the dead are read out and remembered and a representative of the Parish Council lays a British Legion wreath on the memorial.