The Extension to WilbySchool
As reported in Wilby Parish Magazine 1901
Our new Infant school Opening Day promises to be a great success. We hope for fine weather, and that nothing will prevent the Lord Bishop of Shrewsbury from coming. It will be remembered that he was to have opened and dedicated to the Service of God our last school enlargement on 3rd January 1894, but was prevented from doing so by illness, and Canon Clayton, of Peterborough came in his place.
The order of proceedings on the Day will be as follows: The Bishop, Clergy, Choir and School Managers will go in procession from the Church, after having sung Psalm 67 in Church. At 4pm, when the Bishop arrives at the school, at which the people will be assembled, Hymn 338 will be sung; after which the Order of Service for invoking the Blessing of God will be proceeded with. This short service followed by tea, at which all friends, parents and children will be gladly welcomed. Tickets for all 4d. After tea, a few short speeches will be made, and Festal Evensong will be sung in church at 7.45pm: Preacher: The Bishop of Shrewsbury, D.D. A collection will be made in the church for the Enlargement Fund.
Nothing could have been more successful than the opening of our new infant school-room, which took place on Wednesday April 17th. The weather seemed to take up for us on purpose, and the sun which had so long hidden behind rain clouds, came out bright and clear as a welcome to the Lord Bishop of Shrewsbury, whose long promised visit to Wilby is now a thing of the past. The bell ringers announced his advent by a merry peal on the evening of the 16th. At 5am the following morning there was a celebration of Holy Communion (the Bishop being the celebrant), at which the school teachers were present together with a good number of parents. At about 3.45pm the Bishop, clergy and choir assembled in the church and sang Psalm 67, after which the procession was formed and proceeded to the school, singing Onward Christian Soldiers’, the Cross bearer Mr Sewter, the Master, leading. In the rear of the procession immediately following the Bishop were a few of the school managers, but being market day some were unable to be present. On arrival at the school the Order of Service for Invoking the Blessing of God on the new building was proceeded with, the Clergy and the Choir standing on either side of the Bishop who took the service.
After the service 140 parishioners and friends assembled for tea.
After tea the Bishop congratulated the Rector and people of Wilby on the handsome addition just made to the school. He also spoke of the way the work had been carried out, expressing appreciation of the fact that the craftsmanship had been entirely supplied from the village of Wilby in a satisfactory manner from ceiling to basement.
The Rural Dean then proposed a vote of thanks to the Bishop for so kindly coming to dedicate the school building to the Honour and Glory of God.