Charles Tassel was brought from Scotland to Ecton by Sotherby’s of Ecton Hall as a carpenter. He later moved to Wilby, leased and converted, from Miss West of Ancaster House, three cottages dated 1812 into a free house called The Horseshoe Inn.
When he first came to Wilby he cut his own timber and made coffins and farm carts.
John Tassel, his son, took over as licensee in 1894 until 1912 and carried on the trade as the local blacksmith and wheelwright until 1920 when he went to work for Charles Wicksteed.
Mrs. Annie Brown, daughter of John Tassel, then took over as licensee and her husband Joseph purchased the property from Miss West in 1921.
The property was sold to the brewery in 1943.